Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lots of News

I guess when I wait for a period of time, I accumulate more things to write about. I can most definitely say I will never have this news again..

A little over 3 weeks ago, I had a positive pregnancy test. I got some blood work done to make sure my hcg levels were rising. I had had an ectopic pregnancy last time and this helps to indicate whether the pregnancy was progressing. The numbers were good. That gave me some peace of mind, but I was anxious to have an ultrasound and see the heartbeat.

I had my first appointment yesterday with the doctor. Surprisingly, they worked me in with the ultrasound tech that day. She began the ultrasound and once she got herself set up, she told me very plainly: there are two babies. I told her she had to be kidding. Nope, she wasn't. I was shocked and overcome with emotion. I conceived on Clomid, but it only increases your chances of multiples to 10%, so I just assumed there was one. SURPRISE! The due date for a singleton would be January 15, but with twins it should be earlier. Now, we are certainly not out of the woods at all. I have started to read about having multiples and am already making myself a little crazy. A good friend of mine said you already know what it is going to be like---just double everything from last time. I liked that logic, but my obsessive mind probably won't leave it at that.

So, our lives are going to change drastically and we'll manage. You never get more than you can handle, right? I don't know who exactly I'm writing this to, but it feels good to put it down. I can divulge my fears here, because in real life, I am supposed to be collected and excited. And, I am excited, just not able to wrap my head around this. I feel blessed beyond belief. I hope that God keeps everyone safe and healthy. Should be an interesting adventure...

I guess that is the biggest news I have to share. We are having Owen's birthday party this weekend. I am looking forward to that. Then, I have to go back to Dallas on Monday for the week. Hopefully, I won't have too much nausea. Nothing like being on a bumpy plane and feeling sick.

I guess that is all for now. I hope to make more regular updates. We shall see if I can come up with any other news.

3 comments:

the quists said...

Wow, that is big news! Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Isn't it natural to be overwhelmed when your life is about to change? I think so. It's just the intensity of that feeling that is different than if you conceived only one child. You are going to be a wonderful mother to Owen and the twins. I remember always wishing that I was a twin. I love you and can't wait to experience this right along with you.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been making the usual blog rounds lately and boy have I missed out on all the news! Double Congrats!!! That's simply amazing, and yes I'm sure a little scary. Don't know if 3 kids were ever in your plans, but if so then this is the best thing that could have happened because now your family will be complete. And if you're planning for 6, then you'll be halfway there. :-)